Friday 9 October 2009

Wizard layouts

Merlin rushing off on some escapade or other


For what seems like an eternity I have been doing layouts and roughs for my latest projects. Eventually I'll get to do some finished art again. These images are from my first Merlin book for Random House, they're not far off finished looking because I wasn't sure how they'd come out myself and wanted to give the BBC folk a clear idea of how they'd look. I do a lot of roughing for jobs like this in Photoshop. It allows me to keep working over and over on the same image, cutting away at the black and adding finer black. Sometimes I rough in Manga Studio for the same reason. If I'm doing a project for myself or one that needs a bit more thought I'll scribble on paper with a 4b and scan in the resulting mess.



The Merlin stuff here all looks very tight. Below is a looser example. This is for a story about Apsley Cherry Garrard that Faz Choudhury and I wrote. Faz will be doing the lion's share of the art on this strip, but I like to stick my oar in and in this case I roughed out how I saw this panel. It was done in Manga Studio with the same cutting in and drawing over the top approach. There are 4 other stories in this series that we're currently working on for Weldon Owen, but the roughs for those are so rough as to be unintelligible to anyone but me. I shall post some examples of the later stages of those stories at some point.

Now though I have some characters from Emmerdale to draw for Inside Soap magazine. I'm livin' the dream!

2 comments:

Studiotoad said...

Bloody excellent Rob- I doff my cap to thee.

I plan to investigate Manga Studio at some point, when I get a moment to play... is there much difference between the two versions do you know?

Ade Salmon said...

A 4B ?! Blimey I'd get nothing but a smudge from one of those -lol
I use a 0.7 H lead in a propelling pencil. Used to use a 0.5. All on paper of course.

Love the galloping horse...

A

 
Site Meter